With my new loom I have room for a warping trapeze, dreamy warping using up some 8/2 cotton.
A weaver friend of mine sent me this video from the Knockando Mill in Scotland, a wool mill that has been producing textiles since 1784 that was recently saved and turned into a Trust. The whole story is completely amazing, however what is most exciting about the first video happens at 1:23 min, where you the see weaver Hugh Jones measuring a warp, using the technique I learned at Marshfield, but in this case with what looks like over 20 spools of wool at one time. It’s amazing that despite the weaving being all done on power looms the warp is still measured by hand.
Marshfield: Part I
This will be the first of many posts documenting the week I’m spending at the Marshfield School of Weaving in Vermont. I’ll be weaving a blanket of turned twill blocks on an 8 shaft barn loom with a cotton warp and a merino weft which has been dyed in natural indigo by Kate Smith, master weaver and my teacher for the week.
Using a scarn for the first time so I could warp 4 threads at the same time. This technique has changed my life and there is no looking back at any other method, as I wound this warp in about 3 hours.
I recently bought some new equipment that I’m pretty excited about, a warping mill and a end feed shuttle with half a dozen pirns. I’ve been so busy with other things that I haven’t had a chance to try either out yet, but I have had some time to work on a new pair of mittens as a surprise present for a friend. They are from one of my favourite knitting books, Mostly Mittens, which I posted about here.
I love my new Mira. I got a warp on it over the last few days and sat down and wove on it last night and it
Measuring 3 shades of warp
Each chain of warp resting on the front beam
Sleying the reed using lease sticks, working from front to back
All three warp chains sleyed, ready to be threaded
Beaming the warp using brown paper and then warping sticks (since I ran out of paper)
And the sunlight on my even warp and shed
Some nice consistent selvages
My favorite ruler
More tea towels
I did a lot of warp measuring this weekend, 288 ends for tea towels and 168 ends for another two runners. My second go at making tea towels has had much better results, they are a more conventional tea towel size and I managed to troubleshoot one minor threading mistake early on. Making tea towels is like practicing scales, when done well it
Teatowels (part 1)
I’ve got a warp ready to go to make four tea towels, using 4/8 cotton in light blue, royal blue and rust. I’m quite looking forward to weaving something of a lesser width, all my last projects have been at least 30 inches wide and at times slow going (I’ve finished my wall hanging, just need to tie the ends). One of my dearest friends gave me a hand bound notebook that she made this year, so I sat down with it and a cup of kukicha to do the calculations for the warp.
These teatowels will have a sett of 18 epi and I am going to try out warping my loom via a different technique. Up until now I’ve been following the the front to back method described in ‘The Big Book of Swedish Weaving’, but I was reading the Deborah Chandler’s book ‘Learning to Weave’ and her method seems a bit more straightforward than what I’ve been doing, so I am going to give it a go. Since I moved out my studio all my weaving books came home at the same time, the one’s I use the most have slowly filtered to the top, the the book on batik taking the bottom position until I have a studio to make a mess in again.
Using up bits and pieces that came with my loom, plus a new book.
Swedish summer blanket (part 2)
… so it begins, I love the combination of the cottolin and the wool.
Swedish Summer Blanket (part 1)
After the success of my first rug (pictured below), I’ve decided to raise the bar and take on a blanket from a pattern, ableit a very simple one. It’s a Swedish Summer blanket from the book Favorite Scandinavian Projects to Weave, and is a basic tabby weave using a cotton/linen warp and wool singles as the weft. It also has 589 warp ends in total, which means I spent an entire afternoon counting and at last the end of the threading is in sight, only about 40 left to go.