Summer and winter sampling using up brash bits of wool hanging around.
Two shawls I made especially for two friends found themselves in the Badlands over the weekend, which included a stop at the Banff Centre library, where I got to see some copies of Loom Music in the flesh, along with some beautiful samples in a book of Swedish weaving.
I finished this rug a while ago
In search of a bench and instead
Some nice photos of two of the first things I wove, the top one I did on a rigid heddle loom, the bottom one when my Mira came to town.
I finished the two rug samples I was working on the other day – quite pleased with both of them and now have some solid ideas for the new rugs I’m going to begin. Before that I’m going to re-thread and sley the sample warp I have on the loom at the moment to try out a 3 shaft krokbragd.
New rugs, year of Dragon
I don’t think I’m alone in being relieved to see the end of the year of the Rabbit and yesterday’s new moon marks the arrival of the year of the Dragon. I received one of the most beautiful presents I think I’ve ever been given for x-mas this year, a silk painted Japanese kite of a dragonfly that was found in a flea market in Germany. It’s presence, along with the rug sampler I’m working on has me full of energy for weaving projects this year.
On this sampler I want to experiment with a handful of rug weaving techniques that allow combinations of colour and shape, the image above is the ‘meet and separate’ technique, which functions exactly as it sounds.
I made a few weaving new year’s resolutions this year, mostly inspired by some reading that I’ve done and wanting to find the most efficient and technically gratifying way for me to weave. I hit the ground running last evening with that in mind, even though sometimes I have a glimmer of feeling that it’s patently absurd that I’m always teaching myself when it comes to weaving. That said, once I figure out how to do something once, I don’t forget it as I might do if shown in a workshop. The goal last evening was to warp back to front using Jane Stafford’s method, which after much fumbling with the lease sticks and clamping the raddle to all 4 shafts, I cracked it and it’s a totally brilliant way of putting a warp. I put on a really narrow warp to do some experiments for some new rugs using the ‘meet and separate’ method, however this morning when I was up and happily weaving with some tips from Peter Collingwood in mind, two of the warp threads snapped. I had randomly grabbed some cotton off my shelf last night not thinking about whether it would hold up to the tension need for a rug warp.