Tagged: coverlet


Wednesday

I spent a couple of ours fixing the broken warp threads in my blanket, which didn’t take as long as I had imagined. Also rigged up a skarn out of shoe boxes, knitting needles and clamps. Works a dream.

Marshfield: Part IV

After much of the later morning and early afternoon underneath the loom tying up, I finally got to see my pattern. I’m weaving on a countermarch loom for the first time which was a bit of a brain melt to tie up with 8 shafts (more on that later). Despite that and a few broken threads, things are moving forward. We decided to double up the wool weft after throwing a few picks with it singly and I’m pleased as it gives the whole thing a bit more density. After playing around for about 5 inches I drew up my pattern, which is only slightly different from the historical blanket mine is based on.

Marshfield: Part II

The majority of today was spent threading, 1260 ends in all. Tomorrow brings tying on at last and then finally getting to wind some bobbins and start weaving.

My blanket is based on this historical one that Kate pulled out for me when I said I wanted to focus on twill blocks for my weaving project. This one has been beautifully seamed up the middle out of two panels, mine will be one piece 43 inches wide and 60 inches long.

 

A whole new world of 8 shafts and string heddles.

My view for the better part of the last 9 hours.

One pattern repeat of my draft.

The lower beam where I sat, also for the better part of the last 9 hours.

Somehow crossing out the repeats gave some sense of satisfaction halfway through.

At last, threading the reed, something which I could do standing up!

 

 

 

Curiously, there are two overshot coverlets from the 19th century at the Hastings Mill Museum here in Vancouver. Both were made in Ontario, however both had made it to Vancouver at some point and were donated to the museum. If you haven