Tagged: barn loom

Marshfield: Part VI

I finished my blanket midday and got it off the loom, I have a load of broken threads to repair and I need to decide if I hem it or make a fringe (I am leaning towards hem).

Kate and I with my finished blanket.

I spent the rest of the afternoon weaving tape using an 18th century pattern chiefly used for upholstery. This one is linen and wool, I wove about a yard in blue and another yard in green.

Two historical blankets that I believe a future student is going to use as the basis for their blankets.


And a few shots of the dye studio … where I’ll be hopefully spending some time next August!

 

Marshfield: Part V

To my own surprise, I wove 60 inches of my blanket today. I have about 8 more inches to do to finish the last repeat of my pattern and then I get to weave some tape! Kate has one she had made for a sample warped up on a smaller loom, so I am going to finish that tomorrow. Plus I get to see more of her collection of 18th century coverlets.

 

Marshfield: Part IV

After much of the later morning and early afternoon underneath the loom tying up, I finally got to see my pattern. I’m weaving on a countermarch loom for the first time which was a bit of a brain melt to tie up with 8 shafts (more on that later). Despite that and a few broken threads, things are moving forward. We decided to double up the wool weft after throwing a few picks with it singly and I’m pleased as it gives the whole thing a bit more density. After playing around for about 5 inches I drew up my pattern, which is only slightly different from the historical blanket mine is based on.

Marshfield: Part III

Below are some shots of the studio, which is an incredibly beautiful place to work in.

I wound bobbins on this today, faster and more efficiently than I have with any other winder.

There are many amazing things happening in the studio at all times, including this warp weighted loom that Norman Kennedy is going to be weaving on sometime over the next months.

Marshfield: Part II

The majority of today was spent threading, 1260 ends in all. Tomorrow brings tying on at last and then finally getting to wind some bobbins and start weaving.

My blanket is based on this historical one that Kate pulled out for me when I said I wanted to focus on twill blocks for my weaving project. This one has been beautifully seamed up the middle out of two panels, mine will be one piece 43 inches wide and 60 inches long.

 

A whole new world of 8 shafts and string heddles.

My view for the better part of the last 9 hours.

One pattern repeat of my draft.

The lower beam where I sat, also for the better part of the last 9 hours.

Somehow crossing out the repeats gave some sense of satisfaction halfway through.

At last, threading the reed, something which I could do standing up!